Friday, April 27, 2012

Delivering a Frank Breech Baby-Jack's Birth Story


A birth story.

Jack Bennett
December 28, 2011 9:21am
7lbs 1 oz, 17.75 inches

Backstory
Jack’s birth story starts when I was 35 weeks pregnant.  Jack had been stubbornly staying breech and around 28 weeks I started to really push that this needed to change NOW.  My midwife and others pretty much patted me on the back and said I’ve got time.  I innately knew I didn’t, and finally at my 34 week appointment my midwife listened.  I was scheduled for a NST ultrasound the next week, with the intent to have an external cephalic version done the following week.  If the baby stayed breech and I stayed with my midwife, I’d be scheduled for a c-section. 

The ultrasound took place at a different OB office, and the results were an 8 out of 8 score with low fluid in the normal range, not enough for the version.  The OB there stated the baby was a footling breech and stressed there was no reason to continue the pregnancy past 37 weeks.  I was admitted to North Fulton hospital for IV fluids and a repeat ultrasound in the next morning.  The nurses were confused, the monitors told them the baby was not in any kind of stress, I was not having any kind of labor and the fluid levels just didn’t justify the no food or drink after midnight order.  When I spoke with the OB associated with my midwife, her first comment on the phone was “but your baby is in distress”.  I asked for proof, as there was no proof of that and honestly a lot of proof that the baby was fine.  I realized that night I had to get out of that practice, but first I needed to get out of North Fulton still pregnant. 

By morning, there just wasn’t enough to justify a section, and I think the OB knew she’d need to more than just trying to scare me into a section at 35 weeks. She needed actual medical evidence, which she didn’t have.  She just kept saying, “Your water could break and a foot would fall out”.  We left that day with the understanding that we would have a follow up ultrasound on Monday.  In my head this meant I had until Monday to transfer to Dr. Tate’s practice.  My entire birth plans had changed.  No longer was I looking at a peaceful waterbirth or even a homebirth, I was looking at who will let me keep this baby inside the longest.  I didn’t want a section, but I didn’t want a 36-37 week scheduled section even less.  If I had to have one, at least let me go into labor naturally, so we knew the baby was ready.

My doula, Nikki, had met us at the hospital during this and being already a patient of Dr. Tate’s contacted him privately over the weekend with the situation.  Monday morning I got a call from Rachael(his front desk person), letting me know there was a cancellation and I could see him that day.  I cancelled my appointment with the other ultrasound place, collected my records from the midwife and headed out to Norcross(no where near where I live) to meet Dr. Tate for the first time.  

At that appointment I was impressed with Dr. Tate, relieved that I would be given the option of a natural delivery, and found out baby was in a complete breech presentation(think cannonball).  Dr. Tate could not turn the baby either, as Jack was well situated into my pelvis.  This delivery was going to be different, there were more rules than when I had Hal.  I was to push in an OR just in case and if I didn’t have an epidural or spinal, I was looking at anesthesia, if an emergency section was necessary.   That was honestly the first time I considered an epidural.  If something happened, I was risking missing my sons birth.  I decided I wouldn’t decide that aspect of the delivery until I was at the hospital in labor.


48 Hours leading up to and including delivery

Jack was born on a Wednesday morning.  This is what happened the 48 hours before he arrived.  

Monday evening I felt wonky, just off.  I was having bracton hicks contractions all evening, they were irregular and didn’t feel like much of anything but they did make me feel off.  I contacted some of the people who would be involved in the birth to let them know, I felt weird, something was happening but I couldn’t say what.  That night even as I slept they continued, but never bad enough to wake me.  I figured by morning if I could sleep through it, it wasn’t labor.  Tuesday we went about our day, which included a prenatal appointment.  At that appointment we found out Jack was now in the frank breech position(best one for a breech delivery), my cervix was very soft and I was 3-4 cm dilated.  I had a bishop score of 7, but Dr. Tate said the score doesn’t really account for breech babies that tend to stay higher until last minute.  My husband and I were reminded to do our homework, which we laughed over since we have a “no I won’t sleep” toddler.  

I had bloody show all day, but I honestly figured that was a result of the pelvic check, not actual show.  In the evening I spoke with Nikki and we solidified my birth plan.  She even wrote them out for me.  That night Hal decided to go to bed early, and since we had homework to do, we giggled and said what the heck, quietly sneaking off to the guest room.  It also gave us time to talk alone since we knew we’d be a family of 4 soon.  Afterwards we returned to our bed and went to sleep.  

Around 2 am I was awoken by a contraction that felt nothing like any I’d had before then.  I tried to fall back asleep, but it wasn’t going so well.  Around 3am, I figured I’d time them just to see what was going on.  The next 2 were around 10 minutes apart and by the third, they were too painful to lie in bed through.  I got up to walk around the house.  I started using the contraction timer on my phone so I didn’t have to pay attention to the clock.  I figured, I had HOURS to go, since Hal was at 43 hour labor, so I decided to let Alex sleep, and just contacted Nikki so she had a heads up. 

During the next 2 hours I focused on making sure all the bags were packed.  As the time passed the contractions went from where I could just pause and sway gently through them, to where they consumed all my thoughts and even the squeak of the floor annoyed me.  Throughout this time, I kept having to go to the bathroom, my bowels it appeared insisted that they be emptied.  I was a bit nervous that if dinner hadn’t digested enough I was going to be sick as well, but that didn’t happen.  I sipped water and had a few spoonfuls of honey during this time, but that was all.  Though out this I was communicating to Nikki what was going on, but I don’t think I was being very clear. 

Around 5:30am I realized I could not stay alone in the house any longer and woke up Alex.  I was also having trouble hitting the button on my contraction timer properly.  I think at this point the contractions were 4-5 minutes apart lasting a whole minute.  Since with Hal, even at that stage I still had hours to go, I wasn’t too concerned.  Alex woke up, started his morning routine, and about 30 minutes later I realized I needed to call the doctor.  

I think I spoke to Tia, who was glad to hear my water hadn’t broken and told me to head to the hospital.  I called Nikki and told her I was headed to the hospital in 30-60 minutes once we got the house in order.  Alex continued his morning routine, and we woke up Hal to get him ready to leave.  I was failing to say anything useful and felt like Alex was moving too slow.  In reality he didn’t realize that my contractions were getting closer and closer together.  I had 2 in the time it took to go get food for the dogs from the garage.  Between contractions I was able to dress Hal.  Along with all this I was still running to the bathroom to empty my system.  I think it took us an hour to get out of the house but we did, only forgetting Hal’s bag.  In that time we were able to get a hold of Tessa, who meet us at the hospital to take care of Hal.  We hadn’t heard from either of the couples who could take Hal for the night at this point, but with Tessa there wasn't any rush either.

The drive in was uncomfortable.  Alex drove, while I gave directions and we both hoped the morning traffic was light and we didn’t get lost.  Once again we were driving to a hospital we had never been to before while I was in labor.  This time we didn’t get stopped by a train. Alex put in a CD of songs I like to sing along to, and that helped distract me from being strapped to a seat when I wanted the sway my hips.  I think I had one contraction per song. 

Once we found the hospital, we had to circle it once to find the right door.  Alex hit a pothole in the road that had me scream from pain.  Nikki and Tessa were already at the hospital.  Nikki met me at the door and told Alex where to park.  When we entered the hospital, Tessa met us and then headed off to meet up with Alex to help with bags and Hal.  I was only carrying my purse.  Nikki rocked me through contractions all the way to the registration desk.  I had started to cry.  I just wanted to be in labor and not responsible for anything.  I was far along to be making decisions. But I still had to fill out paperwork.  Ha!  Nikki filled it out for me(asking me questions) and I signed.  Alex and Tessa met us there, and I was brought back into triage to access how “in labor” I was.  Since Hal insisted he be carried by Daddy, Nikki rocked with me through each contraction and Tessa was kind enough to carry our bags.  

Once in triage, I got to change into a beautiful gown, get hooked up to monitors and have a nurse check me.  I was 7 cm.  Oh yes, I was definitely having a baby today.  The hospital called Dr Tate, a kind nurse understood my request “Do not offer me pain meds, only give them if I can ask for them”.  Then we headed to the labor and delivery room, Nikki and I continued the contraction dance, this time I think the contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting longer, it was getting harder to walk, I was getting tired and starting to question if I could handle this.  I still hadn’t decided on an epidural.  

In labor and delivery, I got hooked up to an IV for fluids and antibiotics(I was Beta Strep positive), during this time I was lying in bed riding through the contractions and nearly falling asleep through them.  In my mind I was thinking I can’t do this, I can’t push this baby out, and thankfully all the stuff we learned in Bradley class screamed at me “Johanna you are almost done!”.  Dr. Tate arrived and checked me during a contraction which is up there on painful things I’ve experienced.  He declared I was complete and station was changing.  He also made a comment about a bulging sack of water, which had Nikki laugh and the resident assisting ask if he wanted to break it.  Apparently not with a breech.  Then came the rules.  He informed us he needed to leave to change, that only two people would be able to go in with me and if something went wrong they would have to leave the room, no questions asked.”  A nurse appeared and gave Nikki and Alex scrubs.  

While everyone was getting changed, I was going through contractions and answering questions about my teeth and dental stuff to an anesthesiologist.  There was an internal moment of panic that if I was knocked out I could wake up and vomit, but I kept that fear quiet.  Just before we started heading to the OR, the only way to survive the contractions was to push through them while lying on my side holding up my leg(with Nikki pushing on my hip.)

Just after 9am, I think we rolled down the hall.  I have no idea how far.  That part is a blur.  When we got to the OR, the room was very bright and there were two giant bug eye like lights above me(turned off thankfully).  Alex commented that they rolled away to the corner a machine that goes bing.  Which had me giggle.  I then had to move off the bed and onto what seemed like the narrowest table.  I recall thinking that act made more difficult by the IV attached to me.  Dr. Tate explained how I was to hold my legs and push along with letting Alex and Nikki know how to assist me with my legs.  I didn’t get it right at first, but I was very much feeling like I couldn’t do this.

Then I got it right and at 9:08am there was a loud pop and my “low fluid” shot 3-4 ft out of me.  Those at the foot of the table jumped and ducked.  I started laughing.  Apparently the nurses had to put sheets on the floor to keep everyone from slipping. 

With my water now broken, Jack was able to get into the birth canal and out.  Apparently the first thing to exit were his testicles.   Luckily I’d been adamant that only Alex tell me the gender.  Following his testicles, out came his penis and he peed everywhere.  I was unaware of all this going on, my focus was on Alex, Nikki and listening to Dr Tate who counted down when I was supposed to push.  I’d rest, then feel a contraction start, push for a ten count, pause for a moment, then push again for another ten count.

Continuing on the pushing, out came his butt, I recall them talking about sacrum rotation which I understood, but was more amused by the meconium poop comment that was something along the lines of “it’s like stepping on a toothpaste tube”.  It was my birth and humor was a much needed part.  A few more pushes got out the body.  The last push to get the head out needed a bit more effort than the first one, but I did it. 9:21am Dr. Tate quickly removed the cord from around Jack’s neck and turned him upside down to help drain out fluids.  I remember thinking he looks so big.  The nurses put him on my chest while they cleared his mouth.  After the cord was cut, it was time for the placenta to come out.  Dr. Tate said it wasn’t ready yet, so a nurse started massaging my tummy.  All of a sudden I had to push, so I sat up a bit, pushed and felt the weirdest thing slide out of me,  Placenta came out perfectly with no complications.  I think sewing up my 2nd degree tear took longer than the pushing did.  

Once that was done I got to head back to the labor and delivery room where Hal and Tessa were waiting.  I found out afterwards that I did not poop on the table while pushing, which amused me since when I had Hal and pooped I was all excited because it meant I was pushing in the right place.

Tons of Thanks goes out to ICAN of Atlanta for supporting me in avoiding an unnecessary c-section. 
When this was taken, I'd been in labor for 6 hours and Jack was born a little over an hour later.
This was minutes before were were wheeled to the OR. Part of the arrangements of natural breech delivery is I deliver in the OR just in case something happens. Which is a very different environment from the dimly lit room I delivered Hal in.
Baby boy Newbold was born at 9:21 this morning. This picture was2 hours after the birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment